Ms. Spangler is a top-rated trial and appellate attorney with over 30 years of experience in complex commercial litigation and construction matters. In the words of one of her clients: “Jori Spangler is a great lawyer, a tenacious fighter and formidable foe to companies and litigants who are your opposition. Without a doubt, Jori is someone you want in your corner when the fight gets rough, tough and nasty.”
Ms. Spangler’s career highlights include litigating alter ego and piercing the corporate veil issues including representation on appeal; obtaining an Ex Parte Temporary Restraining Order against the Federal Government on behalf of developers and the City of Henderson to prevent a FEMA flood map from becoming effective and then negotiating the dissolution of the Temporary Restraining Order and revision of the map with FEMA; overturning a jury verdict on appeal involving products liability and the economic loss doctrine; obtaining a directed verdict against Hyundai Motor America in a multi-million dollar federal RICO action; and representing a client in connection with the constitutionality of Nevada’s term limits amendment. Ms. Spangler has also been involved in real estate disputes, banking disputes and contractual disputes including covenants-not-to-compete.
Ms. Spangler was one of the lead contractor/subcontractor attorneys in both the In re Venetian Lien Litigationand In re Aladdin/Desert Passage Lien Litigationin which she defended the validity of mechanics liens against multiple challenges by the owners and lenders. As a direct result of these two cases, the Nevada Legislature enacted revisions to the Nevada Mechanic’s Lien Statutes and enacted the Nevada Prompt Payment Statute for private construction contracts. Ms. Spangler has also negotiated and customized multiple AIA construction contracts (stipulated sum, cost-plus-a-fee, design/build) as well as sophisticated non-standard construction contracts.
Ms. Spangler is a lawyer who thinks outside of the box and goes the extra mile in representing her clients.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Ms. Spangler was an Extern to the Chief Judge for the United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin. Ms. Spangler is also an Alternate Municipal Court Judge for the City of Las Vegas.
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Magna Cum Laude, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (1986),
- Jurisdoctor, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1989)
- Jessup International Moot Court Team (1987-1988)
- Moot Court Board, Student Coach (1988-1989)
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Member, U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- Member, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Former Vice-Chair, ABA Commercial & Business Law Committee, Construction Litigation Section
- Former Vice-Chair, ABA TIPS Appellate Advocacy General Committee
Honors and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (2007-2008, 2010-2016; 2020)
- Chambers USA, Bank One, Construction Litigation
- Child v. Lomax, 124 Nev. 600, 188 P.3d 1103 (2008)(constitutionality of Nevada term limits)
- Cheek v. FNF Constr. Inc., 112 Nev. 1249, 924 P.2d 1347 (1996)(summary judgement)
- Boulder City v. Cinnamon Hills Assoc., 110 Nev 238, 871 P.2d 320 (1994)(represented Cinnamon Hills in a challenge to Growth Control Ordinance and denial of building permit for elderly housing)
- ARCO Products Co v. May, 113 Nev. 1295, 948 P.2d 263 (1997)(represented ARCO and overturned jury verdict)
Publications and Seminars
- Nevada Construction Law Manual (Copyright 2008, HLK Global Communications, Inc)
- Ms. Spangler has also given seminars on Nevada Mechanic’s Lien Law and been on panels for several of the ABA-Construction Super Conferences, a 35-year old leading conference for the construction legal industry.